Monday, March 16, 2009

My Generation's art.

I always worry that my generation will write memoirs no one will ever get the chance to read. We'll pour effort into long descriptions of going mad, or growing up a certain way, and no one will ever see them to benefit from them. It's fine for the person who writes the book, because writing about the bad parts of ones life makes them seem not less bad, but more manageable. It isn't quite as good for the rest of the world.

I used to worry my generation wouldn't create much interesting art, but I'm no longer worried about the creation of interesting art, I'm more worried about the desimination of that art. There are great band made up of people my age, but it's the shitty ones who get radio plays. There are great painters, and writers, and sculptors, and all sorts of other things, but those aren't things that come up to the public view.

My generation will create, but I don't think anyone will see it. That gives great reason to ask the question; is art without an audience art at all?

That's a troubling question, especially for someone like me who has art *music in my case* but rarely shows it to anyone. Our memoirs may be good, our songs great, our paintings brilliant, but it's all for naught if no one sees them, hears them or reads them. We listen to music for different reasons now. The same is true for how we consume writing and visual art.

Music is a distraction and something to go in the background. I don't know how people can listen to top forty hits on their iPods all day long, but that is what they do. the visual art that makes it is in advertisements, and the writing we enjoy is about sordid affairs, or about celebreties.

Art serves it's purpose as a placating remedy given to the masses. It's the same crticism that's been used since the Horkheimer and Adorno paper "The culture Industry." I fell like this art that my generation makes to put in advertisments and television shows, and the television shows themselves, and the art in full page ads are all worth less because their purpose isn't art.

To a certain extent I'm a formalist that way.

I'd like to keep going on this topic but my meds are kicking in and I litterally can't. It's like it's gradually powering down my brain.

No comments: